Sunday, June 18, 2017

"I planted some bird seed and a bird came up. Now I don't know what to feed it." - Steven Wright


We're just home from church, eating lunch as I type this.
I didn't see any goats outside, which is unusual on a warm sunny day like this, so I went out to check.
Hmmmm.
Itzhak was eating alfalfa from the feeder (normal) and Stella was just standing there (not abnormal, especially if she'd also just been eating). Sundae was laying in the straw, didn't move when she saw me, and is breathing with difficulty. Are we getting close???
I wish I had some experience at this.

We drove Sally into church, and she did fine. Yeah, I still have some carb tweaking to do because she idles a bit too high and runs a bit rich (I think), but other than that Sally moves along nicely. I'll be glad to have the steering fixed; the uncertainty of the steering-wheel-to-front-wheels connection is a bit unsettling, but that fix should come in the next week or so.

But another problem has arisen.
Rick, the previous owner, put in a new heater core - the tiny radiator-like unit that sits below the glove box and over which air gets blown when you turn on the heat and fan. He did that because the old heater core leaked, a not uncommon problem thanks to Mr. Rust.
So why, wit a new heater core, was I still getting water on the floor on the passenger side a month ago when I use the heater?
Because it is not now (and may not have been then) the heater core.
After doing some coincidental reading on vintage Mustangs a week ago I learned that Ford botched up the design of the cowl, the area below the grate just in front of the windshield. It's what we call a "known fault." As a result of that bad design the cowl rusts out even in cars with little or no rust elsewhere. I performed the standard diagnostic yesterday: pour water down that grate. Yep, got in this morning to find water on the passenger side floor mat.
It didn't leak when I used the heater, it leaked when it rained, which was pretty much all the time last winter. Coincidentally, when it rained it was also cold, so misreading the cause was easy enough.
The fix? Ah, there's the real problem. It involves removing the hood, the fender, and the windshield, cutting out the bad metal and welding in a replacement panel.
Uhm....I don't know how to weld.
I posted on the Vintage Mustang forum asking if there was a fix for us non-welders. The theme from multiple responders: "Learn to weld!"
OK, then. I'll learn that tomorrow afternoon between lunch and feeding the goats.

We were without power for about 90 minutes this evening. It was 89 in MoHo when it went out and without the fan that doesn't work. Pam had dinner all but ready so we went on a picnic to Fred, which stays surprisingly cool. We listened to a short story on my iPad while we ate fajitas and the power came on 15 minutes later. Now that the sun is setting it's down to 77 outside and 81 inside. Very doable.

Poor Sundae. She's very pregnant and obviously uncomfortable.

No comments: