Monday, June 19, 2017

"Trials teach us what we are. They dig up the soil and let us see what we are made of." - Charles Spurgeon


Poor Sundae. I'm a bit anxious re. my role (if any) in her kidding, but she sure looks uncomfortable.
I did read that most goats give birth without any trouble and serious problems only occur about 2% of the time. When they do it's almost always of a sort that allows time for a vet or Marta to get there. And Marta knows she's on call! (She's terrific.)
In a worst case scenario the kid is born dead. I read that when you have a stillborn kid it's almost always been dead for days, hence the birthing problem. So, "It's nothing you did wrong."
I don't remember being this nervous when the boys were born.

Our internet service, through Dish, has been very irregular the last week or so. It comes and goes with no apparent cause. So this morning I called tech support (oh boy, this is going to be fun) and got a gal who speaks English as her first language and actually took care of things. She could tell from her den (she works from home) that our dish is out of alignment, probably from a bad storm we had a week ago. So tomorrow morning a tech will show up and fix the problem.
OK, I have mixed feelings about this. I'm VERY pleasantly surprised that there's a specific problem that they could diagnose and fix. I was sure I'd get an ambiguous, "check a, b, and c, at your end and then call us back if that doesn't fix it." Nope. Five minutes after I called....done!
However, I'm pretty sure Dish knows what color my underwear is. They know what I watch and when, what I record and when I watch those programs, and the position of my dish. Should I assume they know what online sites I visit? What I buy online? Who I email?
Another reason for living a clean life. Privacy doesn't exist anymore.

According to a survey commissioned by the National Dairy Association, 7% of Americans think chocolate milk comes from brown cows. That's an indication of the conceptual distance between Americans and the food they consume, and why I value the very modest degree of farm-to-table living we're doing. It seems right, almost righteous to live the connection between the meat and vegetables we eat and their source.

Yesterday the media told us Carrie Fisher died of sleep apnea. Today we learned she also had heroin, cocaine, and ecstasy in her system and fatty deposits in her arteries. I'm thinking the latter had more to do with her death than the former. You?

We went to see our friends' son play again tonight in what was the championship game, which they WON in fine fashion. I was impressed with how well coached the kids are. They're clearly learning the game and most importantly, having fun. It's a pretty low pressure league.

We're just now home, with supper via the drive-through. It's 73 outside, 79 inside, after a high of 88. At one point this afternoon I thought Sundae was in labor, but she was just complaining about the weather. We're down 10 degrees for tomorrow's high so I'll get a lot more outside work done.

For now, a cup of coffee and a cookie or two, then bed.

No comments: