Sunday, October 15, 2017

"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired." - Jules Renard


Really only two things. First, the sermon. I think it went well, but then I thought that last time, too, and by Tuesday morning it had all blown up. So I'm suspending judgement until the end of the week. Brett (the pastor) will be back from his hunting trip in a couple of days, will undoubtedly listen to the recording, and he might give me some feedback.
Pam was positive in her assessment, but that means almost nothing. She's a good wife and an encourager by nature.

Every 10 days or so I have to buy a bale of alfalfa hay and/or wheat straw. The goats eat the former and the latter goes down as bedding. I have to put those bales in the back of the Kia, and the plastic I lay in before hand only does a poor job of keeping bits and pieces from getting all over.
I also haul bags of feed, grain and beet pulp pellets for the goats and pellets for the chickens.

I've also hauled lots of 4x4's, 2x4's, and cedar fence boards back there.
When I've needed to bring home drywall or something else in a 4x8 sheet, something that won't fit in the back of the Kia, I've rented a trailer from the local U-Haul. It's not the most convenient but gets the job done, and I can get a 4'x8' enclosed trailer (it's actually an inch bigger in each dimension) for about $15. I have to plan ahead so I can reserve it for the day I want and there's no guarantee they'll have one there. I once had to go to another U-Haul dealer across town.

A couple of weeks ago a guy whose place we drive by every time we leave home (or return - doh!) had a trailer out in front of his house with a For Sale sign taped to the front. I let it sit for a couple of weeks and then gave him a call. He was asking $300, I offered $200, and we settled on $225.

I went down this afternoon and fetched it. I'm pretty sure it's from a '55-'59 Chevy truck because it looks in every respect just like what I had on the truck I restored.

It needs new shocks and that spare on the tongue is flat. I'll check the lights to make sure they work, but if they don't I have a spare set that Harbor Freight sent me because of a recall of the lights on the teardrop. I discovered that problem when I built the camper and did my own repair, so when Harbor Freight sent me this set I just stored it away.

In Oregon no license is required for a trailer under a weight I don't remember except that it was WAY higher than I will ever reach hauling bales and bags of feed. And in this state a trailer is covered by the insurance on the vehicle pulling it. So apart from the shocks I'll have no expense beyond my initial $225. The Kia will stay clean, I can buy more than one bale at a time, and I'm done with U-Haul. This will never go farther than Lowe's, a 30-mile round trip, and mostly to the feed store and back, about 12 miles. If/when we do the remodel of MoHo this will make bringing supplies home SO much easier.

Every good and perfect gift comes from above (James 1:17).
T'ank you, Fadder!

No comments: