Tuesday, October 17, 2017

"She's what we used to call a suicide blonde; dyed by her own hand." - Saul Bellow


I had an appointment with my cardiologist this morning. Actually, it was with the tech from St. Jude's who made my pacemaker and then the PA to go over the results. Every six months I go in, they download all the data from the last half year, and then see if any changes need to be made.

The answer is no, everything is fine. It's working 5% of the time in the upper chamber and 4% in the lower chamber and at this rate the battery will last another 8 years. Oddly, it kicked on four times yesterday afternoon (I have no idea when or why).
My BP is good and my pulse is 48.
Yeah, running will do that to you.

Steve told me about Waze, an app similar to Google Maps for finding places as you drive, places like my cardiologist's office which is on a side street hard to locate from the main drag in Springfield. I used Google Maps to get there and Waze to get home. They recommended different routes and I deviated from the Waze route just to jerk it around and see how it would respond. No problem; it quickly adjusted and told me what I should do next.

Waze gives you a variety of voice options and I chose "Boy Band" just 'cause it sounded like it might be fun. NOT! It's a guy with the same sing-song inflection for everything and by the third turn I was ready to smack him.
When I got home I changed it to Anita or something like that.

I do like Waze better, though. It includes an indication of the speed limit as your route progresses and then shows your actual speed. The former is helpful because I sometimes miss seeing signs that tell of a new limit and the latter because Sally's speedo is inaccurate due to non-original size tires. When the speedo says 55 mph I'm doing slightly over 60 mph.

Steve said Waze will even warn you of traffic delays, accidents and the like, but nothing like that came up on my drive. The problem: Sally is noisy enough that I had trouble hearing the Boy Band idiot.

Our small group met tonight. We have a potluck each week and each of the 4 couples and two singles bring one item from the menu that Lainey chooses. It's always something simple, like tacos, or chili, or baked potatoes. We signed up to bring dessert this week so I baked an apple pie and made some cardamon toast.

I worked yesterday's 8 miles, especially the last 2.5 miles which is all uphill with the last 2 miles a pretty significant incline. So today my quads were sore. Today the plan was to just do an easy 4 miles so I can do 11 miles tomorrow. Except almost immediately I started pushing and ended up with a pretty respectable time for the route. The race is 11 days away and I take the last three or four days before the event off; no running so I'm fresh. It's supposed to pour Thursday through Saturday morning - "our first significant storm of the season" - so Wednesday's run may be it until Saturday. I'll run in the rain, but when they predict 1.5" I'm not going outside unless it's absolutely necessary. Even the goats have that much sense.

Right now we just got home from small group and I'm really tired. We'll leave home about 3:30 a.m. to get Pam to the (Eugene) airport for her 5:15 flight to Denver, and from there to Grand Rapids. I think I'll be going to bed just as soon as this cup of coffee is down my gullet.

No comments: