Friday, October 20, 2017

"Writing is simply thinking through my fingers." - Isaac Asimov


With one week before the race I don't want to skip training runs, so when the weather cleared about 8:30 this morning I quickly got my gear on and headed out for 5 miles. The clearing ended right after the halfway turn-around point at Warthen Rd. and it started to RAIN! By the time I got home I was soaked through to my skin, but the rain gave me the motivation to pick up the pace on the return leg and I did a negative split by one minute.
I feel good about having done the miles and got confidence from doing it in those conditions.

I finished the last section of the book yesterday. It isn't so much a chapter as a brief "final thoughts" bit about keeping a sense of perspective regarding mid-Acts dispensationalism. So now I'm doing a final read-through to catch as much as I can before sending it out to proofreaders.
I think a couple of the sections are going to need some beefing up and I may even add a section. It's hard to tell how it flows when I've been at it for two years, sometimes writing just a few paragraphs at a time, which is why a read-through is appropriate. If I spot holes in the line of thought or even topics that should have been covered now is the time to deal with it.
I'll send it to three people who will read it for grammar and three people who will read it for content. The former are gracious individuals with skills at grammar and syntax who have agreed to help and will flag things like poorly constructed sentences and inconsistent verb tenses. Then there's commas. I can NEVER figure out when to use or not use commas.
Three others will give me feedback on my content. Have I made my case well or are there non sequiturs that have led me down a wrong path?
I set a goal of having this project completed in three years. I started when we moved here which was two years ago this month. If I can get the manuscript ready to send out to readers in the next month or so I should be on target. By the time I get it back from them, incorporate the changes I need to make, and then get it published we'll be pretty close to that time frame.

Several months ago I got a Rhino ring. After a scare years ago that nearly took my finger off I stopped wearing my wedding band. Then I learned about these synthetic rubber rings that are flexible and would stretch and tear before my finger got cut (or worse).
I've gotten leaner (read: skinnier) with all of this running and that Rhino ring is now too big. It came off when I was making the last pie on Monday and then again while I was working on the trailer Wednesday. I found it each time, but decided the smart move was to order a smaller one. Mine is black but I decided to get stylish and go with blue this time.
If you're like me and don't wear a wedding band because of the safety issue this makes a good option, and they're cheap!

I had to go into town to get an ink cartridge because proofreading is, they say, best done from a hard copy not a computer screen. I decided to get lunch at McDonald's on the way home.
Oh my. What a microcosm of Oregon culture.
I also noted how hard some of those employees work. This particular McDonald's is staffed by people who look to be in their late 20's or 30's and who are hustling to keep things running smoothly during the lunch hour - not an easy task given the caliber of the customers at this location. They work quickly and efficiently and any stereotype of someone who works in fast food doesn't apply to them. I have no idea why a gal in her 30's is working at McDonald's, but I give her props for a solid work ethic.
If I had a company and was looking for employees who would learn skills, work hard, and do it with a good attitude I might go head hunting at McDonald's.

I can't begin to explain how proud I am of our kids (all four of them) and how much I love them.
My heart gets too full and it comes out my eyes.

There's an add running on TV for an OTC med that will cure dry mouth, which is apparently a bane on those who have that affliction.
I'm not one of them.
I say that because my problem is the opposite. Almost every time I fall asleep in my chair - something I do often - I wake up because I've got drool running down my chin.
I hate that!
It's such an old man thing.

No comments: