Saturday, April 21, 2018

"The trouble with being punctual is nobody's there to appreciate it." - Franklin P. Jones

Fire alarm on the cheap

Today I finished. Five tons of 1.25" gravel is now down on the paths to Fred, the coop, the garden and the barn. No more muddy paths! My body hurts and my arthritic right thumb is screaming but I like the outcome both for the function and the aesthetic.
Next week Todd will bring me another five tons but he'll drop this from the back of his dump truck gradually along the driveway. I'll have to level it out but that will (I hope!) be much easier.

We like watching Rick Steve's Europe. Pam isn't the least bit interest in traveling unless it's to Costa Rica because she's heard me talk so much about the beauty and the wonderful people. If I had all the money in the world and a wife so inclined I'd go everywhere Rick Steve's goes. And the food!! He highlights local restaurants and regional cuisine. Yes please!

Tonight he was in the Basque regions of Spain and France. I want some tapas.

There was a good tapas restaurant in Grand Rapids that Pam and I went to a couple of times for special occasions. I wonder if it's still there. I don't remember the name or I'd look it up.

For being a university town Eugene doesn't have much of a restaurant scene. One of these days we'll go to Papi Anatolia, a place downtown that serves food from that region (Greece and western Turkey). Beyond that I'm not aware of any really ethnic one-offs. Yes, plenty of Mexican restaurants, including Ixtapa right here in Veneta. We ate there last night. But beyond that I'm unaware of anything.

When we first moved to Phoenix we decided to eat at a different one-off ethnic restaurant once a month. Some of them were so good we went back, like the Iranian place in a strip mall in Glendale. Delicious humus that he made fresh twice daily.
And Ethiopian place down by the university.
A sushi restaurant in Peoria.
Sometimes we decided the food wasn't something we particularly cared for. But it was always fun to experience a different culture through its food. Expands the horizons and the waistline at the same time!

OK, all that thinking about food has my hungry. Because I spent all day shoveling gravel I've earned it, so I'm going to go fix myself something and not feel a bit guilty about it.

No comments: