Tuesday, April 24, 2018

"When you're eight years old nothing is your business." - Lenny Bruce.

(click to enlarge)

If you do quite a bit of keyboard work (I do) there are words your fingers almost memorize. The muscle memory takes over and my fingers type the word without me really thinking about it. It took a while but halfway through the book my fingers finally learned dispensationalism and I didn't have to think about the letters as I typed them; I thought the word and the letters just came out. 
The problem comes when your brain wants to type a word close to a very common your fingers have memorized. "They" can come out the more common "the," or "lift" turns into "left." 
Have you experienced this?
We need a word for the phenomenon. Suggestions?

I spread the 25 lbs. of grass seed this morning. When I started I didn't think that was going to be enough but it turned out to be almost exactly the correct amount. The chickens seemed to think I was throwing seed on the ground for their benefit and they were at my feet instantly. 
Once the seed hit hit the ground and fell into the old hay they couldn't see it anymore so they lost interest and went back to scratching for bugs. 

Pam came in from collecting eggs and thinks we have another broody hen. That could be because it's spring, the most likely time for that to happen. But I cleaned the coop this afternoon and she wasn't on a nest then. We'll know tomorrow. If she comes out of the pen to forage with the rest of them she's definitely not broody. 

Sundae gives birth four weeks from Thursday. We're supposed to have rain from Thursday through the weekend so I'll probably give her what Marta calls "the spa treatment" tomorrow. That includes a CD-T shot that's a vaccine against three of the diseases common in goats. Getting that in her now means she'll pass it on to her kids in the colostrum that flows for the first 48 hours. The kids then get their own CD-T shot at 10 weeks and a booster four weeks after that.
Sundae will also get her hooves trimmed. That gets done every three months and they're all due, so Stella and Dolly will get the same.
I also have to shave Sundae's butt. Yep, that should be fun. I'll use the electric clippers I used when I did my own hair cuts. The trick is getting her to stand still while I do that. Marta came over and did it last tim Sundae gave birth but it's time to pull up my big boy pants and do this for myself. 
As goats go Sundae's easy and a good mama. She's pretty cooperative 95% of the time. The one thing she will NOT tolerate is anyone touching her udder. That's one of the ways you tell how close to kidding they are; the udder gets so full of milk in the last day or two that it's hard to the touch but that's a test Sundae will not tolerate. And last time Marta had to milk her because Burrito wouldn't nurse right off and then got so weak he couldn't get over to the bar. Marta milked a few ounces, added some molasses, and force-fed Burrito with a syringe. Within two minutes he was over nursing. But I had to pin a big strong and unhappy Sundae against the barn wall - no easy task - while Marta milked her. 

Not a lot else to say tonight. I spent my morning working on Brazil prep. I have the dispensational seminars done so I'm working on the leadership sessions I'll do with the pastors. That involves re-reading what I used as textbooks when I was teaching this stuff. I especially like "Pastoral Leadership" by Robert Dale. Good book!

No comments: