Wednesday, April 25, 2018

"Instant gratification takes too long." - Carrie Fisher


I often come across something that piques my curiosity and send me to Google for answers. Today.....

OK, say to yourself - or out loud if you'd rather - the word for the piece of fabric a gentleman takes out of his pocket when he needs to blow his nose. If you're unsure the word I'm looking for it's a compound word that starts with H and ends with F.
Now spell that word.

It's one of those words that almost nobody pronounces the way it's spelled. We say hankerchief instead of handkerchief.

I learned that a kerchief was a piece of fabric worn on the head. It comes from the French word courvrir (to cover) and chef (head). In the 16th century men started to carry a smaller kerchief in their pocket to wipe their forehead or nose. To distinguish this version the word hand was added.

We had another warm sunny day so I postponed the goat procedures until tomorrow. I have to get hay and grain at the feed store, too. So tomorrow morning is all about goats.

Tomorrow will be 10 degrees cooler and by Friday we're down into the low 50's through the weekend. Hopefully we'll get some rain, too, so the grass seed will sprout.

I'm struggling with my leadership seminar prep. I'm currently working on graphics that show the relationship between various leadership styles and congregational types and how the two interact. It just doesn't feel right.

I don't know if the doctor President Trump has nominated to head the VA is competent to lead that agency or not. What I do know is that he's been the personal doctor for the last three Presidents. I can't imagine that the FBI hasn't kept a pretty close eye on the guy who takes care of the President of the country. If he's a dangerous drunk it seems they would have noticed that long before now. Handing out pills? Seems like that would have caught someone's attention before now, too.

The Schoolhouse Rock creator died.
Conjunction Junction, what's my function?

We watch "Forged In Fire" on the History Channel. It's a fun show that pits four smiths against each other with the challenge to make a knife or sword of a specified type. Through the judging process it's narrowed down to two competitors who try to outdo each other to win $10,000. No trash talking, no faked conflict, just guys working metal to make some kind of weapon. If you've never watched it you should check it out.
And the show has brought a new line into our lexicon: "It will keeeeel."
You gotta watch it to understand.

I need to get to bed. I did a triple workout today and tomorrow's goat work will be stressful. Only because it involves tasks that are still new to me and that I don't feel confident doing.

G'night.

No comments: