Tuesday, July 17, 2018

"A man always has two reasons for doing anything: a good reason and the real reason." - J.P. Morgan


A screen shot from the Elmira/Veneta community Facebook page. Welcome to our world.

I took advantage of the cooler morning to clean the barn and the coop, rake some gravel, stack some wood, and water the fruit trees. By the time I was done with lunch and siesta it was too warm out (88) to do anything in the sun so I went to the air conditioned gym. I'm trying to focus on exercises that will help me place in that 5k.

An article on the site for the local CBS affiliate says I-5 is closed south of here because a semi truck collided with a pedestrian. Collided, huh? That's not the first word that comes to my mind when a semi hits a pedestrian.

Yesterday I watched an episode of "What's My Car Worth?" on Velocity. One of the hosts was driving a 60 Pontiac (I think that's what it was) and mentioned that it had a full set of gauges to monitor oil pressure, amperage out of the alternator, and oil pressure. He noted that there were no idiot lights to come on and grab your attention if one of those functions dropped to problematic levels. He said that part of driving a car back then was the responsibility to pay attention to those gauges and take action if the needle dropped.
He went on to comment that people don't fall in love with their cars anymore. And in his opinion that's because we don't interact with them; they pretty much do their work and all we do is step on the two (!) pedals and steer. Computers monitor and adjust all the functions and only send us a signal if something is seriously wrong.
Yes!
I'd never thought about it but I think he's right; that's what has changed. When I drive Sally I set and then adjust the choke, pay attention to the gauges, listen to the engine for any variation in feedback, and am alert to a number of other factors like braking pressure and feel. Sally and I talk to each other. I pay attention to her.
Communication - key to any good relationship.

Just got home fro rehearsal for the morning I'm leading worship at church (the 29th). My voice ain't what it used to be, but that's my own fault. Use it or lose it, and I don't sing anymore except at the worship service. But I hope it will be OK.

No comments: