Wednesday, July 18, 2018

"The other night I ate at a real nice family restaurant. Every table had an argument going." - George Carlin


I read my packet of coffee this morning while the pot was brewing. It says the packet should be stored at room temperature in a cool, dark place.
Which do they want - room temperature or cool?

We have some longtime friends who are going back to Africa, this time to serve under Wycliffe. They're the kind of people who make me wish we had a million dollars (they're good). In the email I got from them a few days ago and just read this morning I learned that it took Wycliffe 67 years to get the NT translated into the first 500 languages and only 17 years to do the next 500. At the current rate it's conceivable that in our lifetime Bible translation could begin in the last language that needs it.

The last time I drove Sally was church Sunday and she ran great. This morning I couldn't take her to the coffee shop because even at idle it stumbled badly and nearly stalled. I tried driving it and couldn't make it up the driveway.
I took the Blazer and messed with Sally later in the morning. The plugs look good, the points look good, and the carb settings haven't changed since Sunday.
Aaaargh.
I twisted and turned the idle mixture screw and the adjustable jet and it seemed to run smoothly again so I drove it 1/8th mile up to the mailboxes as a test. Up fine but back was so bad I barely made it home. Backed her into the garage and .... she runs fine.
Double Aaaargh.
I'm afraid to take it anywhere for fear of getting stuck but I don't know what to do to fix a problem I can't identify.

Did some "speed" work at the Elmira H.S. track this afternoon. I'm getting old.

We also drove up to Junction City to pick up the window I ordered. Discount Windows and Doors is the cheapest around by a wide margin. I'm not getting Pella quality but that would be lipstick on a pig for MoHo. This is the third of nine aluminum single-pane windows that will now be replaced with double pane vinyl. We'll do them one at a time as funds allow 'cause we have more time than money.
Because we went up late afternoon I suggested we get dinner up in Junction City.
Pam: Is it OK if I do like this? (Pointing to her hair which she hadn't done anything with because she thought she'd be home all day.)
How in the world is a husband supposed to answer that question????

Junction City has a population of 6,052 and looks like a classic midwest town minus the century-old brick buildings in the center. There are four auto parts stores, one hardware store, and two motels.
I asked the guy at Discount Windows and Doors if there was an inexpensive place to eat that was decent and not fast food.
"Uhm...not really. I ate at that Chinese place down the street once and it wasn't terrible."
We went to Arby's. It wasn't terrible either.

At 6:30 it's 87 outside and 83 inside. That is SO much better than what we've had for the last week that this sure feels like relief. The windows on the east side of MoHo are open and we'll open everything on the west side as soon as the sun is behind the hill to our west.

No comments: