Friday, July 13, 2018

"We have, I fear, confused power with greatness." - Stewart Udall


I added a mile to my run distance today. I didn't set any records for time but it was respectable for an old man and at 10 a.m. we were already in the mid-80s. We'll be into the 90s again today and for the next four days. 

I've also agreed to help out at church with something they call The Bible Project. I think the name comes from some prof at Western Seminary who put together a read-through-the-Bible-in-a-year program that also introduces the participants to the historical flow of the OT and NT. 
In the version being done by UFC participants attend a one-hour class before the worship service and learn about the portion of the Bible they've read that week. It's taught by two of the younger staff guys who alternate Sundays.
They wanted to add to that with, as Brett put it, "a token old guy." So I'm going to be the third in the rotation. Next Sunday (ten days from now) I'll give an overview of 1 Corinthians and then do a Q&A if people have questions about what they've been reading. 
I went to the class the Sunday before the 4th of July and attendance was down because of the holiday. I've been told there's normally about 40 but it was closer to half that the Sunday I was there. I'll go again this Sunday so I'm familiar with how the class goes, although I've been told I've got freedom to do what I think works. 

Low 90s again today and as I write this (4:30) it's 85 in our living room. It will probably climb to near 90 in here as the late afternoon sun hits the west side of MoHo. If we make it through to Wednesday (we will) the temps will be back into the high 80s.

According to the govt. the "well adjusted middle child" is going extinct because millennials don't want more than two children. Does this mean I'll be a collector item?

I watched most of the Isner/Anderson men's semi. Anderson (RSA) is 6'8" and Isner (USA) is 6'10". Two giants that played a match lasting six and a half hours thanks to really bad Wimbledon rules about tie breakers. Everybody, including Anderson who won the match, said they need to change those rules. It was brutal and Anderson has one day to be ready for his final match Sunday. 
It was one of those contests you wish could end in a draw so neither of them had to lose. 
Anderson has dual citizenship and went to the Univ. of Illinois while Isner went to the Univ. of Georgia. They were both at the top of collegiate tennis, played each other frequently, and became friends. So their embrace at the end of that match and the respect they showed to each other in their individual press conferences afterward was very cool.

We're driving 15 miles north to Junction City for the semi truck show tomorrow. We'll go first thing in the morning before it's crazy hot and maybe be there long enough to have lunch.
Just not at McDonald's, and certainly not salad at McDonald's.

No comments: