Sunday, July 15, 2018

"Whatsoever was the father of a disease, an ill diet was the mother." - George Herbert

You're doing it wrong.

One more day. By Tuesday we're into the high 80s, which shouldn't, but will feel like relief. At 6 p.m. it's 96 outside and 90 inside.
When we redo the exterior walls on MoHo I may look into installing an AC unit.

We found some oil change receipts for the Blazer. They were from one year apart and the more recent of the two was three years ago. In the space between those two receipts the Blazer travelled 2,000 miles. The mileage on that most recent receipt is 3,000 miles less than is currently on the vehicle. So in terms of miles it's not time yet for an oil change, but in terms of time passed we're well beyond it.
Pam's getting an oil change when she's in town doing laundry tomorrow.

This decal is in the corner of the windshield. I looked it up online and the Viewpoint RV and Golf Resort is in Mesa AZ. That's almost 1,300 miles away. We know they towed the Blazer behind their Class A motor home, so one round trip takes 2,600 miles off of the 94,000 total on the Blazer. We have no way of knowing how many of those trips were made but if they joined a resort it seems likely they went regularly, perhaps as snow birds. Bottom line: I think the 94,000 miles showing on the odometer is substantially higher than what it was driven.

The NBC news guy, yeah, the network anchor, did a story last night about the women's final at Wimbledon. In this case it was deemed newsworthy because the loser was Serena Williams who gave birth 10 months ago, so she got most of the coverage. But what really surprised me was that three time in the course of the story the anchor said the match winner was Petra Kvitova when it was really Angelique Kerber.
Major oops. And how did an editor or producer not catch that?

I have trouble keeping the terms straight and it doesn't help that they keep coming up with new terms. Bisexual, transexual, pansexual....
Today I learned that (I think) I'm cisgender. That means I identify with the same gender I had at birth. I thought that made me straight.
I am so confused (except about my sexuality).

Knowing that I'll be leading the worship in two weeks I've been paying especially close attention to the "normal" worship at UFC - the standard order of worship (it's static), the start time (10 minutes after the published service time), and the way the CCM is done and how it will be different when I lead a service that's all classic hymns done in the classic hymn style.
Hymns are normally sung with a slightly slowing tempo in the last phrase, a firmata (slight extension) of the last note, and a breath's worth of break between the verses. Contemporary worship music is sung at the same bpm (beats per minute) throughout the verse. How do they handle the transition between verses? At least at UFC there's a 2 measure interlude.
Just interesting. Not right or wrong; different.
Note: one of the reasons the hymn service didn't work last time is that there was neither a slowing nor an interlude between verses. It felt very abrupt and wooden to go directly into the next verse.

Another good thing about tomorrow, besides it being the last day of this heat wave: the Oregon Country Fair ends tonight and the vendors will pull out tomorrow.
You know it's an odd event when the website tells you not to take pictures of partially clad people without their permission.

What doesn't get done by noon tomorrow ain't gonna happen. I'll start early, work hard, and watch the Tour de France in the afternoon.

No comments: