Monday, October 8, 2018

"All the world's a stage and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey

I'm screwed.

By 8 a.m. I'd fed and walked Buddy, made an apple pie for tonight's small group, fed the goats and chickens, made my b'fast (scrambled eggs and BACON), and taken care of some email correspondence.
The pie turned out looking good. I hope it tastes good, too.
Last night we watched a recorded (rerun) episode of the Great British Baking Show. When Pam came out and saw the pie she said I got "Star Baker" for this week.

Buddy is turning out to be the near-perfect dog. He does well on walks, lets us know when he needs to go outside, and seems to have no bad habits that need breaking. The only issue we have is that he does not like to go into his kennel. We only put him there when we're both going to be gone (like tonight for small group). Brittanys respond quickly to positive feedback and a negative response, even a harsh tone, can spook them, so I'm trying hard to encourage him with praise to go into the kennel. So far it ain't working. In every other respect he's a great companion dog.

My hip and back are also in the good news department. I stood for much of yesterday's class and only sat on the stool when the pain was distracting.
"What's your pain level?" There are variations through the day for reasons I can't figure out but an average would be a 3 or 4. Definitely improvement! Standing to make the pie, including peeling and slicing the apples, couldn't have happened a week ago.

Yesterday we met Beth & Nick at church. Beth is the daughter of dear friends Bruce & Debby who were in our church in Prunedale. Beth wasn't born yet when we left in 1983 but I've gotten to know her a bit from being an overnight guest in their home. (That is a story in itself. They have a magazine-beautiful home and Debby is the definition of "gracious host" who can cook like a pro. Bruce is an easy friend who always makes for stimulating conversation.)
Beth and Nick have just moved from CA to Eugene so she can pursue a grad degree at the U of O in autism studies, specializing in early intervention.
We went to Jimmy John's afterward. When we got home Pam said "I like them!" Me, too.

Unlike my dear wife my disposition does not tend naturally toward the upbeat. I too often see what could and should be better in myself, in my circumstances, and in the world around me.
Do you have phrases or sentences that you say to yourself often? One of mine, an admonition to myself: "Ah come on. Do better." Or, "You idiot."  I'm too often frustrated with things; they're never as they should be.
Over the weekend I had a moment of clarity, a glimpse of life as it really is. I was outside doing chores - I don't remember exactly what - and thought about our life here on Baker Rd.
The goats and the chickens represent the rural, nature-oriented life we love. Our setting on this three acres is beautiful, with thick woods and enough openness to give us a sunny garden and area for fruit trees, God has seen us safely through a real danger with Pam's heart issue, we attend and serve in a good church, and we still have a lot of fun in each other's company. Plus, we scored a really great dog!
If our life were a made-for-TV movie it would have to show on the Hallmark channel and even then it would get bad reviews for being too boring.

So, Craig, grow up and give thanks.
You idiot.


No comments: