Saturday, October 6, 2018

"Now and then an innocent man is sent to the legislature." - Kin Hubbard



Facebook post on the community page here:
"Accident cleanup at the light in Veneta."
Yep, it's a small town

That post wouldn't work in Elmira. Corrected to read:
"Accident cleanup at the intersection in Elmira."

Buddy is overweight because his previous owner fed him table scraps. He's a barrel around the middle. He will NOT get any table food at our house but getting his weight down will require exercise in the form of daily walks (plural). Unfortunately my hip doesn't allow for that right now. I sure wish it did because I think we'd both enjoy that.

I tried but couldn't find it online. While watching a news program this morning I heard that Bill Maher had asked his viewers to respond to a poll question:
"Have we moved from an 'Accusers must be heard' to an 'Accusers must be believed' culture?"
68% of respondents agreed we've moved to the latter. If they're right we've got real problems.

It drizzled most of the day so I worked out in the garage on the trailer. I have two old beat-up moving pads and put one down on the dirt floor. I had Buddy lay down on the pad and he stayed there quietly for over an hour while I worked before lunch and another 90 minutes after. I had to come in to get another drill battery off the charger so I told him to "stay" and he was right there when I came back.
When I got to a convenient stopping point we went for a walk up to the mailboxes.
A man and his dog.

By the way, that walk to get the mail and back was something of a milestone for me. I haven't been able to walk that far in over a month and I did it without any significant pain, just a little discomfort. I am VERY out of shape and it kills me to think that before this happened I was doing 5 mile runs but I am still very thankful for this progress.

More good news: our electric bill dropped 7% last month and our daily use was way down. I think replacing that 40-year old fridge had an even bigger impact than we expected. The next target: our water heater. In a 45 year old MoHo water heaters are behind a door on the exterior of the mobile home made out of the same thin aluminum siding that covers the whole structure. So basically the water heater is outside. I'm going to get one of those insulation blankets that goes around a water heater in the hopes that it will make a noticeable difference through the winter months.

Tomorrow's class will cover their first week's Bible reading, Genesis 1-24. I'm curious to see what questions they have. There were 47 people last week and I'm told a few more are coming. I think some of those people have never done anything like this before, so this will be the first time they've read these OT narratives. And by any measure there are some real head-scratchers in there.

No comments: