Friday, January 18, 2019

"Being an adult is easy. It's like riding a bike, except the bike is on fire. Everything is on fire, and you're in hell."

Look closely. Recycled tires.

That quote up there...OK, it uses a bad word but not gratuitously and you'll survive. And it puts a humorous spin to my thoughts this morning.
Note: I'm sitting in Sugar and Spice, a one-off in a strip mall near the kids' place that serves b'fast sandwiches, donuts, and coffee. I had an egg & sausage bagel and am now on my third cup.

I think life is hard. We have some decisions to make about cars, roofs, and where we want to focus our time and attention. The options on each of those things is contingent on developments outside of our control. They're also interrelated.
Getting things right is important. (And "right" means pleasing and acceptable in his sight.)

The Hebrew word for wisdom, used so often in Proverbs, is hokmah and it means something close to skillful living. It's not an intellectual trait but a practical thing. "The wise man (insert verbal clause).
"If any of you lacks wisdom let him ask God who gives generously to all without reproach" (Jas. 1:5)
So, we pray for wisdom.

"Wait for the Lord. Be strong and let your heart take courage. Wait for the Lord!" Ps. 27:14

I am in serious need of some exercise. I climbed in the Blazer Sunday evening and got out Tuesday morning. Since then I've done almost nothing beyond get out of a chair and I'm feeling the effects, both mental and physical, of being that sedentary.
It's 8:45 a.m. and I've been here since 6 a.m. working on my class material (except for a few minutes writing this). I think I'll go back to the kids', put my stuff away, and go for a very brisk walk.

OK, I'm back, and then some.
While on my walk I stopped in to AZOPT, the pediatric clinic where Josh used to work. It and several other clinics are owned by Ryann & Teri who, with their two kids, used to attend Pathway. Teri happened to be there and we had an all-to brief but wonderful visit. It's great to catch up with VIFs and learn things are going well, especially when that includes their kids. JP and Brooke are both pretty special.

Then I met Josh White for lunch. He was one of my students when I taught at the college and is now a colleague who pastors a good church here in Phoenix, the church that Steve & Michelle attend. We talked shop for about 90 minutes over some very good Mexican food at a one-off in Glendale.

Tonight we're just going to chill out here at Steve & Michelle's.

No comments: