Monday, January 21, 2019

"When I grow up I want to be a retired lottery winner."

Dear friend and colleague Alonso Cabezas is translating "Questions in Dispensationalism" into Spanish for use in Central and South America. As he goes through it he's finding errors. The most recent:
"This involved caring for the poo, the lonely, prisoners, and orphans."
Good grief!

I'm sitting in a Starbucks in Santa Barbara, CA. I left the kids' last night at 7 p.m. and drove through the night with two short nap stops and arrived here at 3:30 a.m. I slept some in the car, went into McD's for b'fast when they opened at 5:00, and moved over here when I ran out of coffee. It's another 30 minutes to McGowan's in Solvang and showing up four hours before sunrise didn't seem like a good idea.

Driving through L.A. in the middle of the night is definitely the way to do it. But spending 40 minutes parked on I-10 just west of Blythe CA because of a bad crash that shut down both lanes...I'll skip that next time.

I've been working on my class material, doing some research on used vehicles (long story I'll get to at some point), and answering emails about poo. I'll head over to Bruce and Debby's in another 30 minutes or so, probably have another cup of coffee, and maybe break free for a shower I desperately need.
I *may* be getting too old for this.

When I leave McGowan's tomorrow morning I've got another 13 hours of driving before I'm home. Add in stops for food, gas, and naps and I'll be thankful to make it to Baker Rd. before midnight.
But Wednesday I'll get Buddy from the Wiltshires. That will be very good. I don't want to leave him when I go to work Wednesday morning. I'd take him with except I spend much of Wed. a.m. in a staff meeting. If I were in my office it wouldn't be a problem.

Falling off into the Pacific Ocean may be considered euthanasia for CA. I don't know how this place survives. Gas is $1 more per gallon that any of the three contiguous states, the roads are horrible, and the line of semi trucks moving corporations out of the state goes on forever. Yeah, it's beautiful everywhere you look (except for all the concrete) but at some point it just ain't worth it.
Oregon is full of crazy tree huggers and snowflakes, but it's affordable and pretty, too.

The national media has had two major FAILs in the last few days. The first was the bandwagon jumping that went on over the Buzz Feed story saying President Trump told Cohen to lie to Congress. Mueller said two days later that wasn't true. Then it turns out those H.S. students who mocked the Native American vet didn't do anything of the sort, as seen in a new video of the incident.
And they wonder why so many of us don't trust them.

I wish I had something interesting to write but even if I did my brain is too mushy to put it into coherent words. Not only did I drive across most of two states but I had nothing but country western music to listen to through much of that.

I think I'm going to pack up my laptop and head up the road.
But first a bathroom stop to get rid of some of this coffee!


No comments: