Sunday, September 29, 2019

"The hardest thing is to take less when you can have more." - Kin Hubbard

Good grief. Who puts a grab bar behind the toilet??

I've been mentally working an issue for a few weeks without resolution. This morning at about 3:00 I had a moment of clarity.
So you see? There are advantages to waking up stupid early.

We spent four days in Seaside last week. I took a ziplock of snickerdoodles I'd made, we ate out several times, and I generally ate like a pig.
I weigh myself every Sunday morning and today the number was exactly the same as last week.
I'd like to lose another pound or two so I'm going to bake an apple pie this afternoon.
Actually, I think the thing that made the difference was that I walked about 3 miles down the beach and back as fast as I could, and did that about three times a day.

Now that I'm home I'm focused on getting to the gym every day through October and working on dips so I can set a PR by the end of the month. I need to increase my total by 2 per week to reach that goal. I go over to that "station" at the gym several times while I'm there and yesterday did five sets of five, a bump up from Friday. I'll do 5x5 again today and then shoot for 6x5 on Monday. The end of the month I'll do as many as I can in one set. And then be thankful for power steering on the way home.

My new favorite on Spotify is "Sacred Classical." Every 50 songs is weird but mostly I get classical sacred choral music. Yeah, I'm odd.

Which fits with something I read yesterday. Don't remember where. But it said, "Just be 1% better today."
I suck at math but even I can figure out A) that's a very small increment, and B) that will take me to a 100% improvement ... sometime before one year has passed.
Of course the problem is that most of life's struggles can't be measured that objectively. What's 1% of "Be more gracious"? But for some things like dips, learning Portuguese, or dietary control it works. And for others it's a reminder that I don't have to be perfect today, just better. That I can handle.
Today I want to be better.

"Eat 1% more BACON."
OK, so I'm going out to the kitchen now to fix my breakfast. Then walk Buddy, feed the goats - including the two very unhappy little kids up in the weaning pen - and get ready for church. For the first time in a year I don't have an 8:30 class to teach so Pam and I can both go to Starbucks for coffee and decent internet before the worship service. Next Sunday it's back to the routine.

It's 8:40, or in old man time, 10 minutes past my bedtime. The problem: five minutes ago I put an apple pie in the oven that has to bake for 50 minutes. This was my first attempt at a lattice top crust and it looks like...my first attempt. Some of my strips wheren't long enough so I had to stick two together and hope the seam isn't too obvious.
Will it bake any differently because it's lattice? We'll find out in just under an hour.

I'm making this to take in for the Tuesday staff meeting, which is just the full time ministry heads. So if this comes out looking horrible it will stay home, I'll eat it, and no one will be the wiser.
That's because I didn't say anything to anyone about doing this.
If it does turn out I'll include a pic in tomorrow night's post.
So yeah, if you don't see it, you shouldn't.

3 comments:

steve_macd said...

Weight Loss Trick - try this tonight. Weigh yourself before you go to bed and then when you get up in the AM. I lose 2 to 3 pounds. My theory is that if I slept for 3 straight days, I could drop 10 pounds.

Dave Green said...

You will probably notice that almost every handicap stall has a grab bar behind the toilet. I asked why when we had to do it in a building. The code requires two grab bars and a handicap stall is too wide to put it on the opposite side so it has to goes on the back whether it makes sense or not. Government regulation

MacDaddy said...

The grab bar behind the toilet is necessary if the side walls are too far away. With a wheelchair facing the toilet head-on (no pun intended) or from the side, the plumbing too often becomes a grab point. Since the vacuum valve and lever aren't safe sizes to grab onto a bar is needed. It isn't ideal, but if the stall is that wide it's better than a bar 4 feet away from the toilet.