Friday, September 27, 2019

"The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions." - Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr.


I've reached some kind of milestone. Today I got a spam message in Portuguese.

Last night's class was hard work and I have no idea how it went. Attendance was down, but we talked about it and between us (staff) we could identify about a dozen people who are coincidentally out of town or otherwise unable. It happens. It also makes teaching a little tougher when you're wondering why attendance is lower. Oh well.

After being awake since 2 a.m., doing the 3.5 hour drive home, and then teaching, I was exhausted. Walked in the door, said hi to Pam, and went directly to bed.
Today will be cloudy, and then rain the rest of the weekend. So I need to get my act together (it's 6:30 a.m. now) and get a long list of chores done.

When I type or say certain words I find my brain thinking of the Portuguese equivalent.
"Now" is agora in Portuguese. That sticks in my head because agora is the Greek word for marketplace. It's where Paul went after the synagogue to preach the gospel so it shows up often in the Greek NT.

On one of my 4 a.m. mental rabbit trails started by a search for a quote (see above) I went to Wikipedia to read about Oliver Wendell Holmes Sr. His son was the famous jurist who served on the Supreme Court and said a lot of quotable things, but dad was no slouch. He was a dr. who promoted the idea of contagion through contact, especially as OBGYNs went from one delivery to the next without washing their hands. (!) He was widely criticized for promoting such a silly idea.
Doh!
(This was before we knew anything about bacteria.)


I gave the kids their booster vaccinations this morning and later in the day moved them up to the weaning pen, the cruelty that comes at 3 months old. Mamma isn't happy, her kids aren't happy, and they're all letting the world know about it!
Dolly is LOUD!

****************
I got lots done today, including holes dug for three rhodies that I'll get tomorrow. I came back from our trip motivated to snaz things up a bit so it looks a little more like a home, more cozy hideaway and less white trash MoHo. Shrubs around the perimeter should help, yes?

Now it's time to feed critters, walk Buddy, and work on my Portuguese vocab. The more words I learn the more I need to review every day so I don't lose what I learned a few weeks ago.

Tchau is the standard goodbye, the same as the Italian Ciao. But I learned that in NE Brazil the "dialect" spells it Xau. OK, I'll go with that.

No comments: