Thursday, October 31, 2019

"Another belief of mine: everyone else my age is an adult, whereas I am merely in disguise." - Margret Atwood


The problem with having breakfast at 4 a.m. is knowing I will be ready for my next meal long before lunchtime.

This morning (currently 26F) is the last of the really cold mornings for the foreseeable future. Tomorrow's low is only 33.
I am reminded of how much I disliked Michigan winters, and this is mild by those standards. And we don't have snow.

The Portuguese word(s) for "to run" is para correr, and to walk is andar. But you also andar a bus (onibus). You montar a horse but andar a bus. Hmmm.

The next unit of the Thursday night class I teach is titled "Decision Making and the Will of God," a title I lifted straight from the very good book by Garry Friesen. I think it's still in print but it was originally published in 1980. Which is why in the first section of the book that describes a fictional seminar he talks about overhead projectors and transparencies. I mentioned that presentation method to the other people on staff at UFC and most of them had NO idea what I was talking about. They'd never seen one.

It's now 7 p.m.
When I went to the barn to feed this morning I let the kids out of the kidding stall and they went straight to mama's udder. What???
They spent a month up in the weaning pen, so this is NOT supposed to happen. Dolly's udder is back to normal "no milk" size, but she didn't kick them off like she should have. So this evening I wrestled the kids back up to the weaning pen and shut them in that shed.
Dolly screamed until it got dark and the kids did a lot of complaining. That will probably continue for 36-48 hours. Fun times for everyone.
Another month in the penalty box.

No comments: