Wednesday, October 30, 2019

"You can't get rich in politics unless you're a crook." - Harry S. Truman


Tuesday evening:
A predicted low of 25 tonight means that before supper I'll turn on the heat lamp in the pump house and get both outside faucets dripping slowly.

The Portuguese verb "to feel" is sentir, as in sentient.

Wednesday evening:
I turned 69 today. No big deal; it feels a lot like 68. I went from the office to the gym where Jason, one of the owners who happens to be my age, used my phone to video my attempt at a PR doing dips. My goal was 20 but Jason insisted I go for 21. I made it to 21 but could not have pulled out one more.

I am very goal oriented. So I've set a goal for 1/1/20 - a PR doing pushups. For me that will be ten sets of 10 with sets of 10 air squats in between. That will set me up well for a "half Murph" on Memorial Day. That's a workout that has you run 1/2 mile, then do 5 pullups, 10 pushups, and 15 air squats ten times, and finally run another 1/2 mile. If I do the PR for pushups and 100 squats I'll focus on the pullups between New Year's Day and Memorial Day while maintaining that level for the other two elements.

My brain has been worked up the last three or four days over what seems to be a cultural presumption that has taken over the local church. Namely, the "bigger is better" axiom. Economies of scale happen in both the business world and the local church, but nobody thinks the bigger is better mantra is absolute.
Trade-offs.
A large church can afford to hire professionals for ministries like youth, women, music & worship.... These pros typically have training and expertise that exceeds what the volunteers in a smaller church can offer.
At least one outcome is that the congregation withdraws, telling themselves that they can't do as well, shouldn't try, and the work of the ministry belongs to people specifically and narrowly trained for tht task.
Anybody else see problems with that scenario vis a' vis the NT view of the local church?
OK, I'll shut up now. 

I've accepted that the potential for impeachment will dominate the news for the next 6-8 months and maybe longer. I don't know if President Trump's actions warrant impeachment and/or what the outcome will be if he is or isn't tossed out.
I've decided to let it go. Just disengage from the whole mess and all but ignore the noise from both sides. A year, two years, three years from now it will all be over, in the history books, and the country will have moved on to the next crisis.
I might come back to current events at that point or I may have figured out it just ain't worth it. Likely that.

No comments: