Monday, October 28, 2019

"I don't necessarily agree with everything I say." - Marshall McLuhan


Questions I asked my class yesterday as we talked about the three sections of the Mosaic Law:

  • Why is the prohibition against murder found in the Moral Law (10 commandments) and not in the Civil Law, like the prohibition against kidnapping and assault?
  • Why is "keep the Sabbath" in the Moral Law instead of the Ceremonial Law like all the other religious calendar items?
I use Google Translator as part of my effort to learn Portuguese. When I wonder what a particular word is in Portuguese I can type it in the English side and get the Portuguese equivalent. Table is mesa. Dog is charro. 
But Google Translator has its problems. It seems to default to a masculine form when the feminine would be appropriate given the context. It doesn't know if I'm speaking to a man or a woman. Also, it decides which of two synonyms is appropriate, though it usually gives the options in tiny print down below.
Today I noticed there are two words for "to pray" - rezar and orar. So I did a search, read a few articles, and learned that Catholics rezar (recite) and Protestants orar (free form conversation, either verbally or mentally). So you'd rezar the Lord's prayer and orar for your kids. 
Have you heard of the pretty famous book "Eat, Pray, Love?" The Spanish edition (same two words) got rezar and the Portuguese edition got orar, but nobody seems to know why. 

I went down to feed the goats before leaving for church to discover they'd had another fight and destroyed the repairs I'd made Saturday. So yesterday afternoon I went to the Ace Hardware in Veneta, got a piece of angle iron, and screwed that into the 4x4 as a door stop. I will not be outdone by a goat!
I also got attacked by El Hefe when I went into the coop to fill the feeder and waterer. He jumped up and dug his spurs into my thighs. Those weapons are surprisingly effective. But so is my boot, which I used to send him flying to the other side of the coop.
I'm also not going to be bullied by a 4 pound rooster. 

In our small group gathering last Monday night they asked if this week we could forego our usual discussion of Brett's sermon and talk about what it means to honor your parents. A couple of the people who attend have a very strained relationship with a dysfunctional parent. How do they keep that commandment?
I'll be hitting the books hard this morning after I write the discussion questions for all the other small groups, one of my Monday tasks. 

It's now 9 p.m. (21 in Brazil time) and time for me to get to bed. Tuesdays start early and go long with some major work at the gym in between. 
Boa noite.

No comments: