Thursday, October 24, 2019

"I personally think we developed language to satisfy our deep need to complain." - Lily Tomlin


I'm afraid the recent pattern of sporadic posts is the new normal for several reasons. I have less time for writing posts thanks to things like the start of fall ministries that have increased my workload, trying to spend quality time each day on Portuguese, added animal husbandry chores, and ... I'm getting old. I seem to get very sleepy earlier each evening. Combined, those factors and others mean I have less mental space during the day for the kind of random unstructured thinking that shows up here, and less time to compose a post.

Thursdays are especially busy with the potluck and then class that begin with the drive into town at 4 p.m. Back up an hour for getting chores done and then a return home near 9 p.m. and ...
Here I am at the bakery for my weekly cinnamon roll and coffee with my class finally fully prepped and a burst of a post.

Yesterday afternoon I took Stella over to Marta's for some quality time with Chiz, her massive buck. Neither of them seemed to mind spectators, and there's no question a) she was in heat, and b) she has been serviced. That doesn't mean she's pregnant or will carry to term. She had a miscarriage about 1/2 through her last pregnancy, so we won't be surprised if this one has issues, too. We'll breed Dolly for the second time in mid-January, her second breeding, and then take Frenchie over a month or so later for her initial breeding.

I should know by noon Saturday if the Dodge truck is sold. This is WAY trickier than it should be. The kid buying it is concerned about mechanical issues and generally ignorant of things mechanical, a challenging combination for the seller.

I'm making good progress on Portuguese even without the time I wish I could spend on it. I'm now far enough into this that pieces are starting to come together in ways that feel like significant progress, and that increases the fun.

I dislike Pres. Trump. I find him an unpleasant person whose character is questionable at least. But pulling out of Syria could be, IMO, the right move. The U.S. has a recent history of getting involved in regional conflicts that have become black holes. We didn't learn from the French failure in Vietnam and look how that turned out.
The middle east is consumed by ethnic and religious conflicts that have been going on for millennia and it seems presumptuous to think we can resolve what has proven to be intractable. Our support for Israel makes geopolitical sense (with absolutely NO biblical basis) but the ethnic hatred that has fueled the fires of that area, nevermind sectarian conflicts, are nothing but a trap. Yes, there will be victims - children among them - who should not fall prey to the evil. And one side *may* be slightly less culpable than another, at least at the present time. But give them enough guns and they'll rise to the top and be just as nasty as the present aggressors.
Such is the sad history of human relations, and all the king's horses and all the king's men aren't going to change that.

I got Sally's tach installed and working, but I still can't find good figures for a redline. I'm comfortable with 3500 rpm and that has me doing about 63 mph, more than adequate for my commute. But if I could take it up to 4,000 rpm I'd be very near 70 mph and freeway driving.
Anybody?

I'm also making good progress on my pursuit of a PR doing dips. Technically I'm already there. My previous PR was a set of 10 and two days ago I did 15. But my goal for next Wednesday is a set of 20. That may be more than I can pull off but I'll give it my best effort.
Setting this goal has been helpful for staying on track with gym time. I may set another one for January 1 to keep me going. Pushups?
And then a solo 1/2 Murph on Memorial day.

The Portuguese word for pie is tort. That's easy.

OK, the cinnamon roll is in my belly, the coffee there too, and a workout at the gym awaits. Then home for chores before coming back in for class.
I'll be back, just no promises on when. Sorry. (Desculpa)

No comments: