Wednesday, October 9, 2019

"When I go to the beach even the tide won't come in." - Phyllis Diller


I have a very low tolerance for nagging. Pam does NOT nag me (OK, hardly ever) which is a very good thing for the longevity of our marriage. It's not a good thing for the survival of our microwave or our oven.
I know my cup of coffee has finished heating. I do not need the microwave to beep at me every 20 seconds to tell me that.
SHUT UP!
When I'm baking I often have to open the oven door to rotate the pie or take out one sheet of cookies and put the next in. Our stove thinks it has to tell me via a loud and annoying beep that...the oven door is open. What?? You don't think that 350 degree heat blasting my face gives me a clue?

BTW, if you don't open the oven door all the way it's very easy to run your knuckles against it as you pull out that sheet of cookies. DAMHIK.

One more thing before we leave the kitchen: on The Great British Baking Show they use ovens with doors that open down like ours, but then slide in and under, leaving a wide open and unobstructed oven. Why can't we get that?? It would be SO much easier to put things in and remove them if we didn't have that door in the way.
Maybe you can only get a disappearing oven door if you're willing to do without dentistry.

(This is what you get when I start writing a blog post at 4 a.m.)

This week my Thursday night class is beginning a new four week series on NT salvation words. There are eight of them, so we'll do two each week, and tonight we'll look at adoption and salvation. We'll look at places in the NT where those words are used, their meaning, and some of the characteristics of each.
Does it describe action that is directed toward the sinner or towards God. (E.g. we are redeemed, God is propitiated.) Is the action forensic or relational in nature?
With one hour to cover two words I am pressed for time. That is particularly true because I should (and will) spend time discussing with them the practical implications of each word.
That's the hardest part for me - the practical part of the study. I really enjoy knowing the biblical content and am willing to wait until some situation in my life calls upon that knowledge and puts it to use. It's good just to know what the NT means when it says I am adopted. At some point that truth is likely to be important to my sitz im leben (situation in life), but in the meantime I enjoy the knowing. As a teacher - at least if I'm going to be effective as a teacher - I need to explore with them the ways in which that application might happen.
Relevance.
Especially in our contemporary culture, if it's not immediately relevant or going to be relevant in some predictable way, it's set aside.
It is what it is. I'll adjust. And try not to be that grumpy old man.

Some days....

I got to the office early to finish prep for my lesson tomorrow night. I have no idea what happened or why, but the three hours of work I put in yesterday was nowhere to be found on my computer.
Start over.
I got it redone and a start on the second half of the lesson. Tomorrow will be nose-to-the-grindwheel and get 'er done.

Then I got an email from someone who is pretty upset with me for totally legit reasons. Something I should have done slipped right by me - went totally undone, to their irritation. Yeah, I'd be ticked, too. And in this case it doesn't seem there's any going back to fix it. All I can do is apologize and hope that they forgive my screw up.

"We have this treasure in jars of clay...."

I've written a mea culpa email. Now I'll walk Buddy, feed the goats, and go get pizza with BACON all over it.

Good grief.

No comments: