Friday, October 18, 2019

"When we ask for advice we're usually looking for an accomplice" - Saul Bellow


Some days weigh more than others. They have more significant pieces or more emotive elements.
The problem with that observation (though I think it's accurate) is that I very rarely say, "This is - or was - a light day. That says more about me than about the days.

One of my personal commitments is that honest compliments are way too rare. So I want to give them whenever I can. Mark Twain said, "I can live for two months on a good compliment." We agree. We replay them in our heads for a long time after hearing them. The more specificity the longer they last. The duration also increases to the extent the compliment is about who we are, not what we've done. The internal over the external.

Today I sent Emily a message through Facebook that was prompted by seeing one of her posts and her face in the pic she included. I told her she and JR are heros in my book. She responded, "Hardly." Then she talked about how much she misses Eloise and what a blessing Pathway was to her during that period of life.
On a heavy Thursday that exchange was helium.

It's now Friday morning. My class last night was hard work - explaining complex subject matter (propitiation) in a way that made it easy to grasp. I don't know if I succeeded but I wore myself out trying.

For the last couple of months I've ratcheted up my gym workouts and I'm pleased with the progress I've made. I'm at or near PR level for several exercises and increasing weight and/or reps regularly. But there are at least two associated problems.
When I stop exercising my weight changes, but not a lot. Mostly my shape changes, with an expanding middle and arse. The reverse happens when I exercise diligently; my weight drops a pound or two while my middle shrinks disproportionately. If you start out skinny a smaller middle means a belt and gathered waistband, and the seat of my pants looks baggy and saggy.
"Get a smaller size pair of blue jeans." Not so easy at this waist size unless I'm willing to go skinny jeans...which I'm not.
Then there's my appetite. I am hungry ALL THE TIME. Is that a physical or psychological response? Is my body saying it needs more fuel to keep up with the increased calorie burn rate or is it my brain saying a cinnamon roll would taste really good right now.
I think it's interesting that we can trust the sensation of thirst (I need more fluids) but not hunger. Why is that? Seems unfair.

I *may* have a buyer for the Dodge truck!! He's driving down from Portland Sunday (2 hours) because he really likes this year/model Dodge. (To each his own) It's been sitting for almost 4 months so today between rain showers I'll get it cleaned up and take it down to fill up the tank. I've tried to tell him everything about it in our email exchanges. I'd be pretty ticked if I drove this far and found out it was a dog.
D.V.

I also need to get the coop and weaning shed cleaned, the rest of the window trim installed and painted, and do some summer-to-winter transition stuff. Fans put away, summer clothes into storage and winter out, etc. If I run out of things to do I can always work on firewood.

And some focused work on Portuguese today.
Already (7 a.m.) I've learned that pessoas and gente are synonyms for people. I'll learn pessoas because it's the plural of pessoa (person) and will be easier to remember.

OK, time to get to work.
Xau.

No comments: