Tuesday, November 5, 2019

"All the people like us are we, and everyone else is They." Rudyard Kipling


Who names their kid Rudyard? OK, Mr. & Mrs. Kipling, though they seem to have been unusual in that regard. Turns out they named their kid after Rudyard Lake in Staffordshire.
He's lucky his parents didn't live near Lake Gitchigumi.

We never really slay our demons. The best we can do is drive them back into the woods where they lurk as beasts do, waiting for another opportunity to attack.
Once we are busy digging our furrows or tending our rows with back to the forest, they will spring out and set upon us with all their ferocity, seeking to consume us as before. Then there is nothing to do but face them full on and, with sword in hand, beat them back. The field work must wait. Any attempt to do both will mean failure at both.

I realized this morning the problem: my feet are too far away. I have music in my head almost constantly, I have music in my gut, and I have, and have had, some skills that put music in my hands and voice. But my feet are simply too far away. The music can't get way down there.
Hence, I cannot dance. To save my life I cannot dance.

I realized driving Sally into work yesterday that we currently have three mechanically reliable vehicles. Amazing.
Yes, the Blazer's right side mirror is held on with Gorilla Tape, a piece of cardboard prevents the "you left your key in the ignition" buzzer from blasting all the time, the left side rear seat won't fold down, there's a CD stuck in the player.... You get the point.
But Pam can get in and drive it pretty much anywhere without worrying about getting there or back home.
Sally is fun to drive and the Chevy truck is as reliable as tomorrow morning's sunrise.
I don't know how long this glimpse of heaven will last, and just writing about it here temps the spirits of engines, transmissions, and other mechanical and expensive automotive elements. But it's a rare treat to know I can get into any one of three vehicles with relative confidence.

Of all the cars in the world I think Pam would say a bullet bird is her favorite.
Like this one. 
Hmmm.


No comments: