Sunday, September 24, 2017

"The only time a woman succeeds in changing a man is when he's a baby." - Natalie Wood



NPR on the way into church this morning. The host interviewed some journalist from ESPN about the kneeling controversy and that owners are supporting the protesting players. Why? He answered that the NBA is a $7 billion a year industry and 70% of its players are Black. The owners are protecting their investment, the key to their income.
Uhm, am I the only one thinking the answer to this situation is to reduce that income stream until they realize it's the customers, not the employees who give them those dollars?

The Seahawks (my home team) played the Titans and the game was broadcast locally on Fox. They got to the game a bit late because of a soccer game that went past 1:00 p.m. (local), so I missed what happened re. any anthem protest. So as the first quarter started I went online to find out.
We switched over to Property Brothers on HGTV.
No, I don't expect Pete Carroll to notice, but it was a statement nonetheless.

I did not vote for President Trump and still am not a fan. But one thing last November taught us: he tapped into the American zeitgeist in a way Hillary did not. His language is crude (Jesus said that what comes out of a man is an indiction of what's inside him) and this is a battle he should have walked away from. But to ignore his visceral connection to a very large part of the population feels with him seems like an equally  unwise move.

Also on NPR on the drive in, an interview with Miley Cyrus. I'd sooner spend a week on vacation with President Trump than a lunch hour with Miley. However, the thing that caught my attention in this segment was the question about the blow-back she's rec'd from the Black community about a recent album she put out that apparently drew heavily on Black musical forms. She's been accused of "cultural appropriation and exploitation," the latest cultural capital offense.
Of course she gave the politically correct answer: I respect their view but disagree. It's music I admire and enjoy and don't intend or want to give offense by performing it.
Shortly after that interview we pulled into Starbucks for our normal Sunday morning wi-fi draw. I opened up my laptop and set a tab to Pandora because we can't stream at home without using up our monthly allotment in about 15 minutes.
To get my mind and spirit ready for church I chose my "Traditional [Black] Gospel" channel. Am I allowed to listen to it, or is that also exploitive?
Well if I am guilty of offense I don't care. It's great music and gets me ready for some serious worship!

For about 24 hours after my long runs I am hungry all the time.
We're sitting here at Starbucks now and I'm eating a PB&J, which is Third Breakfast.

Baker Rd. dead ends (something Google Maps and almost all GPS systems haven't figured out yet, in case your trying to find us using one of those aids). We're 3/4 of a mile in from the T intersection at Sheffler Rd. Baker Rd. is beautiful, winding through trees so thick and overhanging that you'd guess you were in the middle of a forrest.
Well, you are in may ways because several of the lots are large - 40 acres or more - and nothing but giant fir trees.
This morning they set up to log the second of those large lots, the one about 200 yards in from Sheffler. We're curious to see if it's going to be clear cut (Boooo!) or harvested leaving the smaller diameter trees to mature. We'll know in a day or two. They're very fast.

On the way from Starbucks to church Pam and I talked about pushing through. I gave serious thought yesterday as I struggled through my 10-mile run to bailing on the half marathon in five weeks. My long runs are to the point that they're just plain hard. Each (two per week) will be a struggle to complete and I will feel lousy afterward. Old knees, old ankles, old feet.
By the time I got to the corner of Warthen and Territorial (about four miles out) I'd decided I need to do this, precisely because it's hard and I want to quit.
So few Americans choose to do anything that's hard. Some have to push through because they're hit with a disease or circumstance that requires it, but that's different from choosing.
I think pushing through on a voluntary test is the only way we can learn some things about ourselves - what we're made of, where our limits lie, how mentally and emotionally strong we are.
And to be sure, pushing through is the only way to get the satisfaction of achieving a goal out at those limits.

October is going to be a challenge, and I suspect this isn't the first time I'll fight that mental battle. I hope I can continue to win it. I hope the only thing that prevents me from running that race is an injury, and that would be beyond my control.
And I'm saying all of this as one way to keep me on target. Accountability.

No comments: