Tuesday, March 27, 2018

"Avoid popularity. It has many snares and no real benefits." - William Penn

Stolen from a friend's Facebook page.

I had my annual appointment with the dermatologist this afternoon. Having had melanoma twice makes a yearly check-up the wise thing to do. He says people like me scare him but he didn't find anything problematic. This is the first time in the five years since my last melanoma that I haven't had at least one suspicious spot cut off for biopsy.

After the coffee shop this morning (Sally did great) I rebuilt the frames for the raised garden beds. Pam got scratched by the chicken wire I put over the 1/2" PVC pipe frames so I took that off and will replace it with netting. All this because we have so many deer, drawn by the creek.
I didn't glue the joints when I made the frames and some of the joints kept coming loose so after removing the chicken wire I glued up all of the joints. When I get back from visiting mom I'll put on the netting and everything will be ready for Pam to plant whatever veggies she decides to raise this year.

I decided I needed to take a break after three straight Zane Grey novels so I'm reading H.G. Well's The Time Machine. I'm only about 50 pages in (long book) and it's sure different from Grey's writing! Wells uses words that may have been commonplace in 1895 but they sure aren't now. It's just started to get interesting in the last 10 pages so I'll plow ahead. But I'm not one of those people who has to finish every book I start, especially if it was a free book.

USAToday.com had an article about the latest thing to be ditched by millennials. It seems they're not using a top sheet. Word is it gets bunched up at the bottom of the bed and just makes for extra and unnecessary laundry.
OK, my first problem is that the top sheet should NOT be getting bunched up at the bottom of the bed. If it does you're making the bed wrong! The top of the top sheet should fold back over the blanket or coverlet preventing that problem. Didn't your mother teach you anything??
Secondly, if your life is so full that you haven't got the time or energy to do a top sheet with the rest of your laundry (it's just a flat piece of fabric, for Pete's sake) you need to Put. Down. The. Phone.

But what really baffled me is the other things this article said have been dropped by millennials. According to the author bras, chain restaurants, and napkins are now archaic and belong in the past.
Can I just say that I have not observed this phenomenon - any one of the three.
And even those millennial females who have discarded the bra are going to come to a time in life when they'll see the value in that particular undergarment.
Gravity - it's a cruel reality.

On the way home from the dermatologist we picked up the rental car I'll drive up to Seattle, a Nissan Maxima (free upgrade because it's all they had). It has the proximity ignition system. I don't have to insert a key. If the key fob is in my pocket I can step on the brake and press the button to start the car.
Cool.
Except what if I want an accessory to work - the power windows, the charger port, the radio - without the car running? There has to be a way, I just don't know what it is.
This is not a problem on a '66 Mustang.

Time to go feed the goats. Then we'll have some dinner, watch some more recorded PBS shows, and then I'll go to be early. The goal is to be out the door between 4 and 5 a.m. so I can make that stop in Auburn and still be at mom's around noon.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The way to get the accessories to work on the “ keyless” car: With the foot OFF the brake, push the “start” button.

Craig MacDonald said...

Yes! I heard that from another reader and sure 'nuff...it worked.
Until it shut itself off 5 minutes later with a beep and a message telling me it was to prevent running the battery down

Thank, but I'll stick with Sally.