Saturday, March 24, 2018

"Lead us not into temptation. Just tell us where it is; we'll find it." - Sam Levenson



We still have snow on the ground. More accurately, white slush. But it should be gone by mid-day because our forecasted high is 46 degrees. We've got rain off and on through to Tuesday, which isn't what I'd hoped for. I have a long list of outside chores I'm eager to start - things I planned in my head while back in NY.

I'm gone Wednesday through Friday. Going up to Seattle to visit mom. On the way up I'm stopping at a place 15 minutes east of I-5 in Auburn to pick up a new window for our bathroom. What's there now is called a jalousie, which is the kind of window with a crank and horizontal panes that open outward. The crank doesn't work right, the panes don't seal well, and it gets nasty crud around the edges because it's single-pane aluminum in a high humidity room. I'm picking up a vinyl single hung (only the bottom sash moves) that's made for MoHo's and is the same size as this jalousie.
Note: that sure seems like it should be pronounced ja-LOO-see but everyone I've talked to in the window business calls it a JA-loo-see, like a bad pronunciation of jealousy.
A single sash window that opens from the bottom isn't any good in a bathroom because the steam that hangs at the ceiling can't escape. So I ordered a wall install exhaust fan from Lowe's that I'll mount up by the ceiling. Bad air out the top, good air in the bottom (of the window).
OK, yes - I've thought about the issue of drilling a 6" hole through the wall of a 40-year old MoHo with aluminum siding. What's the worst than can happen??

This!

A gazillion H.S. students marching on the streets of every city in America are not going to stop a single messed up kid from killing his classmates and teachers if he decides that's the way to exact the revenge he thinks he deserves. He may do it with a semi-automatic assault weapon, a handgun, or a pipe bomb. The problem is societal, not the weapons. But since people want to blame someone or something else they're not likely to admit they are part of the problem.

What "Frozen" figure are you? Who were you in your last life? What movie should you star in? What would you look like if you were a parrot?
I'm not sure which confuses me more - why people get sucked into these Facebook traps or why they're surprised to discover the apps were just a ruse to get access to their personal data.
C'mon, guys. Did you really think companies were spending time and money to create these inane programs just so you could have 30 seconds of amusement?
Deleting Facebook because you fell for a scam that should have been so obvious a noob would run away is like selling your house because you welcomed a JW into your living room on a Saturday morning.
The problem is NOT Facebook. (see preceding paragraph)

How many Americans alive today have never seen a cigarette commercial on TV? Most?

Pam and I went into Carl's Jr. for lunch, mostly so we could use their wifi instead of our painfully slow internet connection. I planned to go for a run when we got home but I made the mistake of sitting in my chair to watch the F1 qualifying that I'd recorded. FAIL. (sleep)
By the time I woke up it was raining. And cold.
I'm not that motivated.

My head is getting wired for tomorrow. (that's a good thing)

Edited to add: The rain let up and my conscience got the best of me. I went for a run. I feel so...righteous.

No comments: