Thursday, April 18, 2019

"Why not go out on a limb? That's where the fruit is." - Mark Twain


This morning when I got to work I pulled on Sally's parking brake. For those readers born after 1980, that brake in a '66 Mustang (and many other cars of the era) is a handle under the dash that you pull toward you. That pulls a rod out that pulls the cable that sets the brake. To release the brake you grasp the handle, turn it 90 degrees to disengage the teeth on the rod from their catch, and allow the handle and rod to retract, releasing the cable and brake.

If you pull on the handle to set the brake and at the end of the rod's travel the handle comes off in your hand....
The brake is on and you have no way to turn the rod to take it off.
That's a problem solved by calling your wife to bring in a couple of tools when she drives in to do the laundry.
Note: that's not Sally, but an image I snagged off the internet to illustrate.

A day without rain means another day skipping the gym so I can get home right after work and get to work. I spent the afternoon prepping the garden and using the string trimmer to cut down the rain fueled grass around the fruit trees. I've got another hour or two of work in the garden and then it will be ready for Pam to plant.

At our Wednesday morning staff meeting one of the agenda items was choosing a name for the courses I'll teach. We had seven suggestions and we voted some off the island until we were down to two options. The majority went for "Continuing Ed." It may not be particularly clever but it works, and some of the clever options bordered on silly.
We're three weeks away from the first meeting and I think I'm well ahead of where I need to be with prep.

+++++++++++++++

I'm having trouble keeping up with daily posts lately. I start one early in the day (the above from yesterday) but by the time I get to evening I'm so pooped I can barely have a conversation with Pam, never mind write a blog post. No physical or mental energy.

So here it is Thursday late morning and I've been working most of the time since I got up on my class for Sunday morning. It's sunny and warm (63 and headed to the upper 70s) and I would much rather be outside on Baker Rd. working on any of several projects awaiting my attention.

I'm sitting in a Great Harvest Bakery just across the street from the church offices where I've been creating my slide presentation and eating one of their most delicious cinnamon rolls. I decided theirs, made with a bread dough, are better than Dizzy's made from a donut dough. But I drive by Dizzy's so it's more convenient for my weekly cheat. And it's not like theirs are yucky!

It's fascinating to see the five people working on various breads, cookies, and rolls behind the counter. Makes me want to go home and bake.

But now, at 11:15, with another hour or so of prep, I think I'm going to call it good for the morning. I'll go home, change clothes, and go work in the garden at a relaxed pace that will be good for body and spirit. I may take Buddy out with me. Wish I could have tunes out there, too, but living in the woods makes internet music impossible.

I may even go for a run later. It will be the first run since I had back trouble last October so it won't be pretty, but it will be good.

The media simply cannot bring themselves to say the Mueller report is good news for the Pres. and lacks any clear damning evidence, or that Barr has taken very restrained action with his limited redactions. I expect screams and hollers from the Dems and probably should from the media, too. But couldn't they at least acknowledge that there's no gun, never mind one that's smoking?

It's now 4:30. I have the garden almost ready for planting.  Could have finished it but I just ran out of steam.

Got a call from the dermatologist earlier this afternoon. The pathology report came back with an "all clear." Margins show no sign of melanoma so they got it all.
T'ANK YOU, FADDER!

I'm gonna walk Buddy, feed the goats, and then we'll head for our weekly Thursday night pizza date.
But first I'll post "Publish" so I don't have to explain myself again tomorrow.

No comments: