Wednesday, July 30, 2014

"I'm thankful for laughter, except when milk comes out of my nose." - Woody Allen


I watch a neighbor's house while he's up north for the summer. I checked it just before we left on vacation but kept forgetting to go over there earlier this week. Today I finally remembered, and as I got to the back door I could see it had been kicked in. I called the Sheriff's Dept. and they're over there now. He said the only result seems to be a missing TV; thankfully no vandalism. I'll go over when the crime scene unit is done and secure the back door.
It made me think how easily the same thing could have happened to us while we were gone. Except we don't have a back door. OK, the windows would be an easy enough entry.

I determined to come home from vacation and use my time more efficiently. Less wasted time (including less TV), more focused work, less time looking at shiny things. Generally I think I'm pulling it off. I'm still up at 3:30 or so but I'm leaving the TV off and getting things done, even if it's just reading. The downside to this increased efficiency is a brain a bit overwhelmed with new information. I think I've learned more in the last week than in the previous month, and it's stuff from all over the place including the financial world, denominations, construction, energy efficiency, medicine, grammar....
You know those CSI shows where they talk about brain splatter? I think that may happen from the sheer volume of information I'm putting in there. But it's fun to learn things from everywhere.

I put up those cellular blinds on the kitchen window today. They will do a better job of holding the heat out (southern exposure), yet they let more light in. One of the things we don't like about summer here - besides the heat - is that we keep the blinds closed during the day to help with the AC bill. That makes the place feel gloomy, so this small improvement was immediately noticed by both of us.

I have a meeting tonight that I need to prep for. Thus, a short post. I'll do better tomorrow night.

No comments: