Thursday, July 31, 2014

"It's fine to celebrate success, but it is more important to heed the lessons of failure." - Bill Gates


Earlier this week I had a conversation with a guy at Starbucks (I initiated it with a question) and he gave me an article to read. I pulled it out today and learned the difference between RIA's, Wirehouse reps, and hybrid advisors. I've got no reason at this point to engage any of them, but I had no idea, and found it enlightening. Worthwhile info for when the time comes. If it comes.
If you're interested, it's here.

Richard Dawkins, the in-your-face atheist on a personal mission to ridicule people of faith anywhere has caused a bit of a dustup within his own tribe. He posted a series of tweets that first stated, and then belligerently defended his position on the crimes of child sexual abuse and rape. On the latter he wrote that date rape is bad, violent rape at knife point is worse. That doesn't mean the former is good, just that the latter is worse.
Twitter storm.
The folks over at The Daily Beast took him to task, arguing that a woman emotionally brutalized by a date rape suffers every bit as much as the woman violently raped at knife point. Her emotional anguish might be worse for her, and Hawkins shouldn't minimize her trauma by calling it less bad than the other.
After reading that rebuff I wanted to ask them a follow-up question. Is then the moral weight of a particular evil to be measured by the trauma it produces for the victim? That seemed to be the implication of their counter argument.

I went up the hill to get a haircut this morning and as soon as I pulled into a slot in front of the shop realized that, for the second year in a row, I'd made a mistake. The place was full of kids, with four or five literally rolling around on the floor.
School starts here either tomorrow or Monday, depending on the district, and every one of those rascals is getting a back-to-school haircut.
Mine will wait.

We hit 110 here today, but the worst part is the rising humidity that will bring thunderstorms tomorrow evening. We have some threatening clouds out there now.
October is 60 days away.
I can do this.


No comments: