Saturday, October 18, 2014

"The problem with the future is that it keeps turning into the present." - Bill Watterson


Yesterday morning an elderly couple walked up our street taping homemade signs to all of the street light posts.
"Lost Cat"
When I came home at lunch I saw two coyotes staring up at one of the signs. They were chuckling.

Later in the day I was headed down 99th Ave to the gym and saw a brand new black Camaro convertible, top down, driven by a young blonde. Hot on her tail was a guy in a brand new red Camaro. Disappearing in their rear view mirrors, a '65 Falcon wagon.

The line of the day goes to the guy on NPR who noted that Larry King has been married to twice as many people as have contracted Ebola in the U.S.

Thursday I set the engine in the chassis but didn't take any pics. I decided to wait until the clutch and tranny were in, two fairly straightforward steps.
I thought.

I was out in the garage at 6:30 to bolt up the clutch and pressure plate. The latter weighs about 10 pounds and - as I conceded after four hours of trying every imaginable way to make it happen - cannot be slipped up under the bell housing and bolted in place. Not by one person who has to hold it in place with one hand and install the six bolts with the other. Trust me, it was't pretty.

Aron & Melissa LaFrance and their two young kids were coming over for pizza at lunchtime. He's a mechanic for the local Kenworth dealer and had loaned me his engine stand & hoist. I was done with them, needed the room they occupied in the garage, so lunch seemed like a good way to say thank you and return them.

It also turned out to be a great way to get a clutch installed, and then a transmission. No way either of those tasks is a one person job, and having the help of a guy with Aron's skills made all the difference.

So here it is 6:30, my body feels like a train wreck, but out in the garage I've got a chassis that's almost done. I'll have to get a drive shaft made, and the brake master cylinder and lines need to be done, but at that point the chassis will be a wrap.

I could sure use a hot tub right now.

I need to set my stuff for tomorrow out, have second dinner (aka supper), and turn in early.
Yeah, I'm wasted.

No comments: