Thursday, March 26, 2015

"Every day thousands of innocent plants are killed by vegetarians. Help end the violence.


I did three things today. I worked on my sermon for a few hours starting at 3:30 a.m. Then I did three hours of cut-in painting on the back side of the house, where all the utility boxes and lines are. This afternoon I drove into the neighborhood where Rancho Santa Fe Elementary is located (Pathway meets there) and taped flyers to 173 garage doors.

My sermon deviates from the normal format, so it has and will require a bit more time than normal. But the occasion requires it.

The thing about painting the house.....
It started with the west side, the garage side, where I spray painted smaller parts from the truck's engine compartment. On a couple occasions I didn't get the side of the house masked off as well as I thought and some overspray got on the siding. So I got a gallon of the color I used when I sprayed the whole house 7 years ago and brushed & rolled the whole side. That showed just how much the color had faded and oxidized in the desert sun, and the contrast was too much for me to deal with. So...paint the whole house again.

I could have rented a pressure washer ($80) and a sprayer ($120), but that means doing the whole house in one day. So I decided to use a brush and roller, spreading the task out over several days. As of yesterday afternoon I had three sides done and today started on the back. I used 10 gallons when I sprayed but I'll only need this 5 gallon bucket this time, and I'll have paint left over. So, the whole thing will cost me all of $165, including supplies. Not a whole lot of fun, but I'm cheap and the results are gratifying.

We're having our Easter service on the big lawn in front of the school, something we did for the first time last year. Todd came up with a cool idea: a flyer that looks like the FedEx tag they leave that says, "You have a package..." Ours also says that, and then invites them to our Easter service. The package is a Bible we'll give anyone who wants one. Using a map we divided the roughly one square mile subdivision the school serves into units of 150-200 homes. Pathway families each took one unit and the appropriate number of flyers and taped one to each house in their unit. The result will be almost 2,000 homes receiving an invitation to Pathway on Easter.

I did my 173 homes this afternoon (not the best time of day in this unusual heat). It went fine. I had two or three interesting conversations with guys out in front of their houses and only one guy blew me off.

Matt is an ad exec who says an effort like this typically generates a 1% response rate. We'd be thrilled with that.
I'm thrilled with the response of the Pathway people to get involved in this outreach.

No comments: