Wednesday, March 25, 2015

My dentist told me I need a crown. I was like, I KNOW, RIGHT?


Ferrous Wheel

This morning at Starbucks I sat at the small table next to and facing the countertop with the napkins and additives. Thought I was going to be sick.

  • One guy loaded up his coffee (?) with three packets of honey and then added sugar from two packets. Then cream! Why didn't he just go to IHOP and order a cup of syrup to go? 
  • Another guy added so much salt to his coffee that he took off the cap and just poured it in.
  • I had no idea the world was filled with people who will pour coffee into the trash opening. 
  • Jr. Highers from the nearby charter school getting large caffeine- and sugar-laden drinks on their way to class. I prayed for their teachers. 

Our world has gone mad.

A sermon on the crucifixion is, by the nature of the task, going to be inadequate.

When I hear Samuel Barber's Adagio for Strings I think of the funeral for President Kennedy where it was played, one of those associations that will always stick with me. It's a really sad piece of music, perfect for that occasion. What I didn't know until yesterday is that it was one of his favorites, and that's why Jackie requested it be played at his service.

The annual NFL owners' meetings are being held in Scottsdale this week. On the news last night they had footage of the teams' private jets parked at the Scottsdale airport. Three of the larger planes had the Colts logo on the tail. Impressive, and indicative of the money involved.

I spent about five hours this afternoon with a paint brush in my hand, going up and down a step ladder. I'm beat. Maybe I'll have more to post tomorrow night, but at this point I just want to drink (it was in the upper 80's out there), eat brownies, and stare at the TV. Until 8:30.

No comments: