Tuesday, March 24, 2015

"I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people who annoy me." - Fred Allen



Things I don't care about that the national press assumes I do (or at least should):

  • Angelina Jolie had her ovaries removed. 
  • seven CEO's are making a bundle of money from stock dividends
  • Dancing With the Stars eliminated a star (Isn't that the point of the show??)
  • Some guy from England did OK in his first time as host of a show that's on TV six hours after I go to bed.
We've been running about 8-10 degrees above normal for this time of year and this weekend we'll make it into the 90's. Those temps have kickstarted my lily pond which has been sitting idle - and getting gross - over the winter months. I'm supposed to have another month before I have to redo it but the lilies are already sending up sprouts, so the time had arrived whether or not I'm ready for that nasty task.
Drain the pond, scrub the walls, repaint with two coats of special paint, shovel the gravel to get the algae covered stuff underneath, and refill. All of that takes me the better part of a day and yesterday was the day. Hence, no post last night. That task plus other things on the to-do list had me even more whooped than normal. But the pond now looks clean and spiffy, ready for brightly colored lilies in a month or two, depending on water temp.

A report out today says many doctors don't tell their patients about an Alzheimer's diagnosis.
Am I the only one who thinks there's another possibility here?

Ted Cruz said yesterday that if he's elected President he will "tell the truth." Interesting.

According to a recent book written by President Obama's former head campaign advisor David Axelrod the President lied when he said while campaigning that he was undecided about gay marriage.
Nixon certainly lied to the American public.
Then there's Clinton's denials of any hanky-panky with "that woman" Monica Lewinski.

I suspect every President since Washington (who could not tell a lie) has lied. And I think I want them to, at least about some stuff. Or at least not tell the truth, the whole truth, and nothing but the truth.

If they're telling me what they think about a particular issue, or whether or not they've violated the oath of office, then yeah, they should man up (or woman up) and tell the truth. But if he (or she) has sent troops on a covert mission into harm's way and a reporter asks him about it I want him to lie. That's his job in service to his country.

What?? Isn't that situational ethics? Shouldn't we tell the truth all the time?

Ethicists have always recognized that there are times when a higher value outranks a cut-and-dried commitment to truth-telling, and that some professions require it. The undercover cop, the government spy, and the Commander in Chief may find themselves in those situations often.

That dynamic and the principle behind it can be seen in several biblical passages from the OT, most often when Israel goes into battle against their enemies. You'll never find a lie sanctioned when it's told for personal gain or to escape responsibility for actions, even appropriate and necessary actions. Thus the early believers' willingness to accept martyrdom rather than deny their faith. But those in service to government practice deception in several forms.

So, if Ted Cruz were President would he lie? I hope so, 'cause if he didn't he'd make a horrible mess of some serious stuff. And I suspect (hope) he knows that.
So why would he say "If I'm President I'll tell the truth"? Did he assume we'd know there would be exceptions to his declaration? Or was he practicing bumper sticker politicking?
You decide. I think I know the answer. 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

One can avoid lying in many ways, one of which is to say, "I'm not addressing that issue for reasons involving national security". In this way, one doesn't lie nor divulge secrets. If presented often enough it sets a tone of uncertainty. Of course, one could also say, "it's above your pay grade so I'm not answering your question & stick a sock in it". IMHO

Craig MacDonald said...

And the undercover cop? Or CIA agent?