Friday, May 22, 2015

"I didn't like the play, but then, I saw it under adverse conditions - the curtain was up." - Groucho Marx

Life here is especially un-blogworthy. I know what you're thinking, but even by my standards there just isn't much going on in life or in my head that works for blog post fodder. So, in an homage (should the word an be in that phrase?) to the TV segment known as Picture Pages of 30 years ago ("...go and get your Picture Pages") here are some visuals.

One of the sites in my "Car stuff" folder of bookmarks is an outfit that sells T-shirts with a different design showing up every 3-4 days. This is the current offer. Get it? (It's tricky.)

Some pictures from the back "yard"





I think I got one of the carb problems solved. I made a very small adjustment on the float level and tightened the needle seat, and the leak from the upper section of the carb is gone. However, the engine still revs WAY too high, even with the mixture screw turned all the way in and the idle speed screw all the way out. Oh, and there's still a leak from the lower section of the carb, visible in this pic. That round plug where it's leaking isn't a plug, it's the front end of the throttle butterfly shaft, and it's worn out. I guess that's not surprising on a 56-year old carburetor. So this afternoon I shipped the carb off to a place in Lynwood, CA that will rebuild it, including bushings on that shaft, for one half the price of buying a new (remanufactured) carb. I'm not thrilled with the unexpected expense, but Oscar promises a carb already dialed in. "Bolt it on, hook up the gas line, and you'll be ready to go!"

I grew up in a home where the word crap would get your mouth washed out with Ivory soap. My friends were from our church youth group, and at school I did my best to be socially invisible. My career has been spent in ministry, and people tend to be on their best verbal behavior when their pastor is within earshot. What I hear other people say comes primarily either from my neighbors, who know I'm a pastor, or from people on TV where bad language will get you into trouble.
For that reason I realize I'm probably naive about the speech patterns of ordinary people. I'm always surprised and bothered when I hear people who routinely use profanity and curse words as part of everyday speech. At the metal shop, friends talking to each other in line at the store, at the airport...curse words and profanity are used with the same frequency as the definite article. Are they not aware, or do they simply not care? And color me old fashioned, but I find it especially bewildering out of a woman's mouth.

We're blessed with two grandsons and two granddaughters, each a jewel in their own right. This Sunday we'll take time in our worship service to dedicate the newest of those grandchildren, Emily Jean. That segment of the service will be a particular blessing for this pastor/granddad.


1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have to confess I cheated and looked at the file name for the shirt photo. I knew it was a deLorean but didn't get farther than that on my own.