Thursday, March 22, 2018

"In fair weather prepare for foul." - Robert Collier


I think I've said here before that I believe in coincidences so long as it's spelled with a capital C.
I've also mentioned that I have a personal policy re. ministry opportunities. I won't seek them out or volunteer because I know how easily the ego - my ego - gets in the way of servanthood. But if I'm asked to do something my default response is to say yes. There are opportunities and situations where it's not possible or not wise and to those I demure, but I start by assuming this is probably God.

So when I was contacted this morning by a VIF asking if I would fill in for their pastor who is too sick to preach Sunday I said yes. I hope they're not sorry.
It's a Quaker church in a Portland suburb. The Quakers (aka Friends) have some traditions that are foreign to me so I'm a bit concerned about zigging when I should be zagging. Also, they are not dispensationalists or Calvinists so I'll preach something "up the middle" that I hope won't given anyone offense.

Again, my assumption is that if I didn't go looking for it I can reasonably conclude God sent it my way. So if the whole thing goes south, it's on him. (OK, maybe not the most sound theological viewpoint but hey, it works.)

Yesterday Pam went to an eye dr. (Lens Crafters) to get her eyes checked and was not surprised to learn she needs new lenses. The cheapest (!) she could get lenses and frames there was $400 and that was with a special deal. So today we went out to Costco where she got lenses and frames for $229. We had to rejoin Costco but it was still a big net savings.

I sat out in the car and took a nap. With the radio on. Which meant the ignition was on. Which meant the headlights were on because I forgot to turn them off.
Which meant the battery died. Ugh.
AAA.
Drove straight home and it's on the charger now. At 154,000 miles I'd like to avoid a new battery that will outlast our ownership of the vehicle.
Added: It's now fully charged. The battery is four years old, which is to say at the end of its life span, but I'm not ready to purchase another one unless I have more trouble with it.

The plan for the morning was to work on the sessions I'll do in Brazil. I worked on Sunday's sermon instead, but I'll get to that prep very soon. Lots to get done before heading south.
I also have to send my passport off to the Brazilian embassy in L.A. to get a visa.
This is real.

Time to go feed the goats and then our dinner. We'll probably spend the rest of the evening catching up on all the shows we recorded when I was in NY. Most of them are HGTV and PBS. Yeah, we're old. But we're old together!

No comments: